March 28, 2012
- The regular season kicked off in Japan today with the Mariners taking on the Athletics or as the fans considered it, Ichiro played today!! The Mariners won 3-1 in 11 innings after quite the pitcher’s duel.
- Magic Johnson throw his hat in the ring to buy the Dodgers which for some reason prompted Matt Kemp to declare he could take Magic on 1-on-1 in basketball. Don Mattingly, the Dodger’s manager, was quick to take Magic’s side saying basically, “No he can’t”. Rumors fly as to whether the comment was made to support the new owner, or because Mattingly has ever seen Magic play.
- Washington National’s outfielder Michael Morse had a sonogram which informed him he was not pregnant. In other news, his muscle has also healed and he will begin baseball activities on Thursday. It is still uncertain as to whether Morse will be ready by opening day. The injury bug was passed to pitcher Drew Storen however, who is projected to start the season on the DL because of a combination of a sore elbow and strep throat. Henry Rodriguez and Brad Lidge will split closing duties in the meantime.
- The Toronto Blue Jays showed that they believe in the theory that “age is just a number” by selecting Omar Vizquel as one of the utility players on their team. Vizquel, who turns 45 in April, needs 56 RBIs to get to 1,000 for his career.
- More bad news for my fantasy team, Tampa Bay Rays outfielder BJ Upton will start the year on the DL. Upton has not played since March 14 with a tight back.
Scores and Stats
Mariners (1-0) – 3 vs Athletics (0-1) – 1
(game played in Japan)
- Dustin Ackley started off the year the right way with a solo home run in the 4th inning. It was the only run scored by the Mariners before extra innings. He then drove in a run in the 11th which gave the Mariners the lead.
- Felix Hernandez and Brandon McCarthy had a fantastic battle with King Felix recording 6 Ks in 8 innings with only 5 hits and 1 ER. McCarthy pitched 7 innings with 1 ER, 7 hits, and 3 Ks.